A hot tub offers you marvellous benefits, but to unwind all those benefits, you have to keep the hot tub clean and hygienic. Every time you use the spa, organic material, lotions and body oils get mixed with the spa water. No one wants to immerse and sit in the dirty and contaminated spa water. However, you can easily keep the hot tub water clean by keeping the hot tub filters clean and hygienic.
Filters are the most important parts of the hot tub because they remove the dirt and dust from the water and keep it clean and hygienic for the users. However, the filters might get dirty and clogged over time. A dirty filter could not effectively clean the water to give you a fantastic spa experience. Therefore, you must clean the spa filters quite often to enjoy the hygienic and clean spa water.
If you are a new user, you might be thinking about how to clean the hot tub filters effectively. Don’t worry! China Royal Spa has prepared a complete guide about cleaning the hot tub filters. You are at the right place to get all the useful and practical knowledge to clean the filters. So, keep on reading and clean the hot tub filters to get an excellent spa experience.
- How to Clean Hot Tub Filters?
- The Functions of Hot Tub Filters
- Why Must You Clean the Hot Tub Filters?
- How to Clean the Hot Tub Filters?
- How to Use Vinegar to Clean the Hot Tub Filters?
- Multiple Household Products to Clean the Spa Filters
- Additional Tips to Clean the Hot Tub Filters
- Some FAQs About Cleaning the Hot Tub Filters
How to Clean Hot Tub Filters?
Before we go into the details of cleaning the hot tub filters. It is vital to know the functions of the filters and why you must clean the hot tub filters. Moreover, let’s discuss how often you must clean the filters and then we will proceed to the process of cleaning the filters.
The Functions of Hot Tub Filters
A hot tub without filters will turn into dirt and a contaminated bathtub that inflicts you more harm than the benefits. The spa filters remove dirt, dust, organic particles and other such materials from the hot tub water. In addition, the filters remove impurities and give you 100% clean water to enjoy the massage and hydrotherapy. Moreover, the spa filters keep the water fresh, sanitary and hygienic to give you one of the best immersing and hydrotherapy experiences. However, a clean hot tub filter could do all these excellent tasks, therefore, you must keep the hot tub filters clean and maintained without any dust and dirt clogged in them.
Why Must You Clean the Hot Tub Filters?
It is must to keep the hot tub filters clean and hygienic. Clean filters could offer you the following benefits.
Keep the Spa Water Fresh and Hygienic
The hot tub filters keep the spa water fresh and hygienic. The filters remove impurities, dirt and dust from the water and provide you with fresh and clean water for soaking and hydrotherapy. However, if the filters are not cleaned and maintained properly, they will not remove the dirt and you won’t get fresh water in the spa. It will ultimately affect the user experience.
Keep the Spa water Odour Free
The spa filters circulate the water in the spa and the circulation of the water keeps the water odour-free. The odour free water gives you a perfect ambience for immersing and hydrotherapy. However, if the filters are not clean. If there are dust particles stuck in the filters, they will cause the smell and unpleasant odor in the spa water and you will not enjoy the immersing experience.
Clean Filters Maintain Water Flow
The spa maintains the water flow at a certain level to give you the best user experience and clean filters are vital in this regard. However, if the filters are not clean and clogged with dirt and dust, you will notice the low level of flow. You will get a message on your screen that the water flow is low in the spa. The low flow can cause strain on the pump and slows down the heating process. Moreover, you will not enjoy the massage and hydrotherapy in a low flow spa. Therefore, whenever you notice the decrease in the water flow, the China Royal Spa suggests you to clean the hot tub filters immediately.
Reduce the Maintenance Cost of the Spa
The filters remove impurities, dirt and dust from the hot tub. You don’t have to add a huge quantity of chemicals and sanitizers in the spa. Hence, it will minimize and control the maintenance cost of the spa. However, if you don’t clean the filters, you have to add the sanitizers and chemicals in huge quantity that will increase the maintenance cost of the spa. Additionally, if the spa filter does not remove the dirt, it will go into the hot tub interior and cause blockage. You have to remove the dirt and impurities externally and it will cause you the additional cost, time and energy.
A Dirty Filters Could Cause Multiple Diseases
The clean filters give you a fresh and hygienic ambience for relaxation and hydrotherapy. The soothing hydrotherapy could save you from various diseases. Likewise, dirty and clogged hot tub filters could cause you multiple diseases. If the filters don’t work efficiently, they send dirty water to the spa. The dirty and contaminated water causes you multiple diseases, including skin issues, infections, irritation and eye problems. Of course, you don’t want to sit and immerse to catch these diseases and issues. Therefore, you must clean the spa filters regularly to enjoy hydrotherapy and to get various health benefits.
Increase the Lifespan of the Hot Tub
The clean hot tub filters ultimately increase the lifespan of the hot tub. Likewise, when the clean water circulates in the spa, it helps the spa run smoothly and ultimately enhance the life of the hot tub.
How to Clean the Hot Tub Filters?
After discussing the functions of the hot tub filters and the importance of clean filters, you now know how essential it is to have clean filters in the spa. Therefore, let’s move to the next section of the blog. This section is all about the cleaning process of the hot tub filters. You can clean the filters in multiple ways. However, the China Royal Spa suggests cleaning the filters in the following three ways.
First Way: Quick Rinse of the Spa Filters
The China Royal Spa suggests doing the quick rinse on a weekly basis. This is the most convenient way to clean the hot tub filters. However, it does not remove the grease and oil from the filters. Instead, it just removes the dirt and debris. Moreover, it does not do the deep cleaning of the filters. For, deep cleaning you can go for option two or three.
To quickly rinse the hot tub filters, China Royal Spa suggests following the following steps.
- Before you start the cleaning process, don’t forget to switch of the spa.
- After switching off the spa, remove the hot tub filter.
- Turn on the hose water.
- Use the hose water to remove dirt and debris from the hot tub.
- After removing the dirt keep the filter in the open air.
- Allow the filter to air dry.
- Once it is completely dry, install it back into the spa and turn on the spa to enjoy clean water.
Second Way: Cleaning Spray for the Hot Tub Filters
The China Royal Spa suggests to clean the hot tub filters in this way after every 15 days or on a monthly basis. The process is suitable for deep cleaning as it removes dirt, dust, oil and grease from the spa filters.
To clean the spa filters in this way, the Royal Spa suggests doing the following steps.
- Before starting the process of cleaning the hot tub filters, turn off the spa.
- Once the spa is turned off, carefully remove the hot tub filters.
- Give the filters a quick rinse, it will remove the dirt, dust and large debris.
- After removing the dirt and debris, you have to degrease the spa filters.
- Wear a mask and protective clothing.
- Spray the surface of the filters with the cleaning spray.
- Keep it for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Gently use the brush to remove the contaminants from the filters.
- Rinse the filters with hose water.
- Observe the filters, if they are clean, install them in the spa. Otherwise, give them a second round of treatment.
- After rinsing them with hose water, let them air dry and then install them in the spa.
Third Way: Soaking the Spa Filters
The China Royal Spa suggests to clean the hot tub filters with this method once in a month. The soaking process is a slow process to clean the spa filters. However, it thoroughly cleans the spa filters. In addition, it removes dirt, dust, debris, grease and oil from the hot tub filters.
To thoroughly clean the spa filters, the Royal Spa suggests doing the following steps.
- Before starting the soaking process, turn of the hot tub.
- Remove the spa filters.
- After removing the filters, give them a quick rinse with the hose water.
- Place the filter soak solution in a bucket.
- Soak the filter in the solution.
- Keep the filter in the solution for minimum 6 to 8 hours. However, to get the best results, the China Royal Spa suggests soaking them overnight.
- After soaking them in the solution, rinse them thoroughly with clean hose water.
- Rinse them properly, otherwise, you will experience foaming.
- After rinsing them, let them air dry and then reinstall them in your hot tub.
How to Use Vinegar to Clean the Hot Tub Filters?
Though there are cleaning products available in the market that you can use to clean the spa filters, you can use household products such as vinegar to clean the hot tub filters. To clean the spa filters with the vinegar, follow the following steps and procedures.
- Before starting the cleaning process of the hot tub filters, the Royal Spa suggests turning off the spa.
- Remove the filters from the hot tub.
- After removing the filters, rinse them thoroughly to remove dirt and debris from the filters.
- Pour water in a bucket.
- Pour 1/2 gallon of vinegar in the water.
- It would be best to prepare a 50/50 solution of water and vinegar.
- Place the filters in the bucket.
- Let them soak in the solution for minimum 4 to 5 hours. However, if you want to get the best results, the China Royal Spa suggests to soak the filters overnight in the solution.
- Remove the filters from the bucket.
- Quickly rinse them with the hose water. The Royal Spa suggests to rinse them thoroughly. Otherwise, you will notice the foaming.
- Let them air dry completely.
- Once they are dry, reinstall them in the spa.
Multiple Household Products to Clean the Spa Filters
Apart from vinegar, you can use various other household products to clean the hot tub filters. Following are some products that are easily available in your home and that can be used to clean the filters.
The Dishwasher Detergent
Some hot tub experts say that you can use the dishwasher detergent to clean the spa filters. The process of cleaning the filters with a dishwasher is quite simple and easy. Mix the detergent in water and leave the filters in the solution for 5 to 6 hours or overnight. However, there are some pros and cons of using the dishwasher detergent to clean the filters.
Pros of Dishwasher Detergent
The dishwasher detergent is designed to remove oils from the dishes. Therefore, it thoroughly removes grease and oil from the filters. Moreover, it is safe for the users and doesn’t inflict any harm.
Cons of the Dishwasher Detergent
The dishwasher detergent requires a lot of water to rinse completely. Therefore, it may take more time and water. Moreover, if you don’t rinse it thoroughly, it will cause foaming in the spa.
Soak in the Household Bleach
Apart from the dishwasher, you can clean the hot tub filters with bleach as well. Bleach is one of the best cleaning product that removes dust, dirt and debris. To clean the filters with bleach, mix 1/4 cup of bleach in 4 to 5 gallons of water. Put the filters in the solution and let it rest for 2 hours and then remove and rinse it thoroughly.
The Pros of Using the Bleach
Bleach is a powerful product that can remove dirt and dust from the filters. Moreover,it can kill the bacteria and other microorganism from the spa. The bleach gives a fresh look to the spa filters.
The Cons of Using Bleach
The bleach could damage the fibres of the filter. The filter could not work efficiently with damaged fibers. Therefore, it is not recommended to clean the filters with bleach frequently.
Cleaning the Filters with Laundry Detergent
You can wash the spa filters by using the laundry detergent. Cleaning the filter with the detergent is one of the easiest ways. Mix the laundry detergent in water and soak the filter in the solution. Let it soak in the solution for 3 to 4 hours. To get the best results, the China Royal Spa suggests to soak the filters overnight.
The Pros of Using the Laundry Detergent
The laundry detergents are made to remove the stains and oil from the clothes and they do the same to the spa filters. Moreover, they don’t harm the fibre of the clothes and therefore, they are safe for the filter’s fibers.
The Cons of Using the Laundry Detergent
The laundry detergent takes a lot of water to rinse properly. Therefore, you may have to spend a lot of time, water and energy to thoroughly rinse the detergent. Otherwise, you will experience foaming in the spa water.
Additional Tips to Clean the Hot Tub Filters
The process of cleaning the hot tub filters is not a complex one. Various cleaning products are available in the market that you can use to make the process easier. Moreover, China Royal Spa suggests you some additional tips to make the process easier and to give you the best results.
- Make sure to add the right amount of cleaning products to clean the filters. They should not be too less or too much because they will damage the filter in both cases.
- Carefully remove the filter from the spa without damaging it.
- Get scum balls or scum bugs from the market. They are specifically designed to remove the oil and grease. Place them in the hot tub or in the bucket where the filters are soaked and they will absorb the additional oils and grease.
- Apart from cleaning the filters, maintain the spa properly. Add the required sanitizers and chemicals regularly. It will help the filters to work efficiently.
- Avoid using a brush to clean the filters because it will damage the spa filter.
Some FAQs About Cleaning the Hot Tub Filters
Can You Use the Dishwasher to Clean the Hot Tub Filters?
Yes, you can use the dishwasher to clean the hot tub filters. However, always use the right quantity of the dishwasher. The excessive quantity could damage the filter’s fiber. However, if you have the cleaning products that are specifically designed for the filers, use them to clean the spa filters.
Why Should You Dry the Filters Before Installing them Back in the Spa?
It is recommended by the China Royal Spa to let the filters dry before putting them back in the hot tub. By drying the filters, you reset the fibers and it improves and increases the efficiency of the spa filters and keep them effective for a long time.
How Often Should You Clean the Hot Tub Filters?
Many users ask this question that how often they should clean the hot tub filters. Well, the answer depends upon the user frequency. If you use the spa more frequently, clean the filters after every few days. However, if you occassionaly use the spa, you can clean the filters after months.
The China Royal Spa suggests cleaning the filters on a daily, weekly and monthly basis to get the best results.
Can You Use Vinegar to Clean the Spa Filters?
Yes, it is safe to use the vinegar to clean the spa filters. You can soak the filters in water and vinegar solution to remove dirt, dust and grease.
Can You Wash the Spa Filters?
The best way to keep the spa filters clean is to rinse them properly. The China Royal Spa suggests to rinse the filters on a weekly basis. It will remove the dirt and dust and helps the filters to function effectively.
Can You Wash the Hot Tub Filters in a Washing Machine?
Many users ask this question that if they can wash the filters in the washing machine. You can clean the filters in the washing machine. However, it is not recommended by the China Royal Spa, because it can damage the fibers of the filter. If you still want to wash the filter in the washing machine, put the filters in the pillow covers.
Can You Run the Hot Tub Without a Filter?
No, never run and use the hot tub without a filter. If you do so, the dirt and dust will run into the spa and you will soak and immerse in the dirty and contaminated water. Therefore, the China Royal Spa suggests to never run the spa without filters.
When Should You Replace the Hot Tub Filters?
The answer to this question depends upon the user frequency. It is recommended to change the spa filters after one year. However, if you use the spa frequently, you may have to replace them before one year. Additionally, the China Royal Spa suggests replacing the filters if you notice one of the following two situations.
- The media of the filter is ripped, bent or imploded.
- The end cap of the filter is brittle, cracked or discoloured.